The majority of computers have backlit keyboards. Talking about Apple devices, the Macs in the Macbook Air and Pro range have illuminated keyboards. Thanks to this function, users may work more productively in low light, giving their PCs a more elegant look. It also helps users adjust the brightness according to their needs and prevents eye strain and fatigue.
Many people choose always to have the keyboard lights on. Fortunately, it doesn’t drain the battery because it utilises low-power LED power. Occasionally, the keyboard lights do not work on MacBook Pro.Here are some troubleshooting techniques to assist you in dealing with this issue. They all are proven and can work for the keyboard backlit.
Easy Steps To Fix Not-functional Keyboard Light On Your Macbook Pro
Here, you will find a list of all easy yet very effective steps to make your keyboard light.
1. Change Keyboard Brightness
It is the first and easiest solution, and you have to adjust the keyboard brightness manually. You might accidentally set the brightness level to 0 without realising it. With a single keystroke, you could change the brightness settings on older Mac models thanks to keyboard shortcut keys. The control center now has the relevant settings, and the brightness buttons on the keyboard have been changed on the latest models.
To adjust the brightness, follow these steps:
- Click the Control Center icon in the menu bar to open it.
- Choose the Keyboard Brightness icon next.
- Drag the slider to the left or right to change the keyboard brightness manually,
As an alternative, you may:
- Use the Mac keyboard’s F6 key to raise the brightness.
- Hit the F5 key to dim the keyboard’s brightness.
Turn Off Power Saving Mode
If your MacBook’s screen is not working but the keyboard is, it could be related to the power-saving mode. Many devices, including MacBooks, have a low-power mode to conserve battery life. This mode limits background activities and disables certain functions that consume more power. The keyboard backlight may not work when power-saving mode is active. While the backlights have a minimal impact on battery life, they are sometimes affected to slow down power drainage.
Here is how you can do it:
- Select the Apple menu from the top bar.
- Select Energy Saver after choosing System Preferences.
- Choose Battery from the pane on the left.
- Uncheck the option next to “Low power mode”, located on the right side of the screen.
Change Keyboard Settings
If your MacBook Pro’s keyboard keys are not working, it could be related to the keyboard settings, including features that disable keyboard lights after inactivity or adjust brightness based on ambient light changes. To address this, consider disabling these settings and manually adjusting the brightness if necessary.
Here is what you should do:
- Select the Apple menu by clicking on it in the top bar.
- Click System Preferences after that.
- Choose Keyboard.
- Uncheck the option next to “Adjust keyboard brightness in low light” once you’re in the keyboard settings.
- Deactivate the checkbox labelled “Turn keyboard backlight off after x seconds of inactivity” as well.
Check The Macbook Light Sensor
MacBooks include a light sensor at the top of the screen—the controls and illumination sign lock when the sensor faces direct sunlight or bright lights. The purpose of this function is to turn off the backlighting automatically when it’s not needed. You must arrange the Macbook such that direct light stays away from the front camera and display to avoid this condition. Go to the following approach if this doesn’t work.
Reboot Your Mac
Restarting the Mac can solve the issue if you believe there is a little error in the system that is preventing the keyboard lights from functioning. Hopefully, this will reset your temporary data and fix the keyboard backlit.
The steps to follow are as follows:
- Click the Apple menu in the upper-left corner.
- Choose Restart after that.
It’s possible that your MacBook’s keyboard settings no longer include the illuminated keyboard function. In such a case, you might have to reset the System Management Controller, or SMC, which controls the system’s power operations and many hardware settings.
Here’s how to restart your MacBook’s SMC:
- Click the Apple menu symbol and choose Shut Down.
- Put your MacBook on charge after that.
- Hold down the Shift, Control, and Option keys on your keyboard in addition to the Power button.
- Release all the keys at once when you see a change in colour on your Mac adapter. The colour shift signifies a successful reset of the SMC.
- Restart your Macbook by pressing the Power button again.
If none of the previous solutions resolve the issue with your MacBook Pro’s keyboard light, contacting Apple customer service is recommended. Their support team can help identify the primary issue and provide guidance on resolving it. If the problem is hardware-related, taking your Mac to a local Apple Store and seeking assistance from their knowledgeable staff or considering professional MacBook repair services may be necessary.
What is a backlit keyboard?
A keyboard with lighting beneath the keys is called a backlit keyboard. The backlight lights the keys’ letters and symbols in low light conditions, making them visible.
Why is my laptop keyboard lighting up but not working?
If your keyboard illuminates but no display appears, the system is on. Still, the GPU may be experiencing issues, your internal disk drive may be corrupted or damaged, your display may be broken, or your LVDS cable—which connects your motherboard to your display—may be loose.
Can I install a backlit keyboard?
A laptop keyboard can have backlighting. But if yours do not, purchase an illuminated keyboard cover for your already-used keyboard. These coverings snap directly onto your laptop keyboard to brightly illuminate each key, with LED lights incorporated right into them.
So, this concludes our blog on fixing the MacBook Pro keyboard light not working problem. Hopefully, these steps will help you get your problem fixed. Please feel free to follow them, and if you still face issues with your MacBook Pro keyboard or any other component, get reliable, affordable and quick repair services from Tech Zones. We will make every effort to assist you.